Translate

Monday, July 26, 2010

INCEPTION

Rated PG-13

DIRECTOR: Christopher Nolan
STARRING: Leonardo DiCaprio, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ellen Page
WRITTEN BY: Christopher Nolan


CRITICAL SCORE: 9 / 10

BULLET POINTS: 9 / 10






PLOT
In the world of high stakes corporate espionage, Dom Cobb is a thief hired to extract vital information from the subconscious of his targets by hijacking their dreams.  He is given a last chance to clear his name and get his life back if he can accomplish the near impossible task of inception; planting an idea in his target's mind.

TRAILER TRASH
Christopher Nolan has directed some of my favorite films starring my favorite actors (MEMENTO with Guy Pearce, THE DARK KNIGHT with Heath Ledger) and is fast becoming a director that I would put into the prestigious category of "Untouchable".  It was no surprise to me that the trailer for INCEPTION damn near gave me chills, pandering to some of my favorite subjects, actors and genres.  I've always been a huge fan of Leonardo DiCaprio and have, as of late, been more and more impressed with Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Cillian Murphy.  INCEPTION was easily the movie I pined for and anticipated the most this summer, looking to be the rare combination of an intelligent, thought-provoking, mindfuck entertainment slap in the mouth summer 2010 has needed.  That said, I am largely disappointed when having any high expectation at all before seeing a flick, so I sat down, albeit a bit giddy, more than a tad cynical as well.  Let's face it, this summer has been pretty sucktacular as far as quality of film is concerned.  I honestly sat down hoping for the best and expecting the worst.  Let's see how Nolan's pet project stacks up.

LOCK AND LOAD
Before we get started, I'm not here to discuss the plot itself.  I have my theories on the end, some of the clues I think I have found concerning such and will gladly beat your ass in verbal martial arts about all of it, but so as not to give anything away in my review, I'm going to refrain from specific convo about specific plot points.  If you wanna' gab, let's do it in the 'Comments' section.  Boom.  Moving on...

From cinematography to script, A to Z, INCEPTION is easily the most solid film I have seen in a very long time.  It is this quality and type of film that made me fall in love with movies.  INCEPTION is a breath of crisp, clean, fresh air that American film is in dire need of.  Nolan is playing his A game (does this guy play any other?) and the rest of the cast is up to the challenge.

The action sequences are tight, suspenseful and massively entertaining.  Alone, the anti-gravity fight scene with Joseph Gordon-Levitt is a masters class in film-making.  The script and characters keep you moving along at a brisk and inspiring pace.  I would be shocked if this film isn't nominated for an Oscar in the editing category.  

One of my favorite aspects of INCEPTION is that it doesn't slow down to let you catch up or beat you over the head with the repetition of the ideas it presents.  With this flick, Nolan kind of reminds me of one of my absolute favorite directors, Stanley Kubrick.  Plot-wise, you either get it or you don't.  Christopher Nolan has the class to actually treat the audience with respect and do something most Hollywood films do not; expect you to be intelligent.  Don't get me wrong.  I enjoy a good solid entertainment piece as much (maybe more) than a lot of people but INCEPTION is a film that challenges to do more than just look good.  INCEPTION is an intelligent film for an intelligent audience and will certainly leave some people behind as it twists and turns and folds over itself.  This leads me to my one and only problem with this film.

PICKING BONES
The headiness of INCEPTION, intriguing as it is, fails to emotionally balance itself with something that tugs on the heart strings.  The characters of 'Mal' (a stunning performance by Marion Cotillard) and 'Dom' (DiCaprio), their interactions and storyline as strong as they are, just didn't entwine me as much as I wanted them to.  I wanted to feel more for these two, especially when that key scene toward the end concerning these two beautifully constructed characters occurs.  Alas, I didn't connect but I do know those who were affected emotionally by this aspect of the movie.  For whatever reason, INCEPTION didn't fondle me on that level and is literally the only thing that keeps it from a perfect score for me.

BREAKING BONES
Everything is amazing in this flick.  I'm not blowing smoke up your ass.  From the costumes, the acting, the script, the direction, the cinematography, the subject matter, the treatment of the audience, the dialogue - there is almost nothing I can point out that is better than the rest because as a whole, INCEPTION damn near does it all with blissful perfection.  Hell, I bet the catering on this flick is Oscar worthy.

Loved Cillian Murphy as 'The Mark'.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt, I'm joining your fan club.

Tom Hardy, you charismatic son of a bitch!  Now, I really can't wait to see you as 'Max' in the upcoming testerone orgasm man flick MAD MAX: FURY ROAD!!!

The last shot of the film = cinematic genius.

SPLATTER FACTOR
A little sauce here and there, like a finely tuned recipe of delicious mayhem.  Tis' largely unnecessary for this film and wasn't missed in the slightest, Bucko.

THE KILLSHOT
Put on your thinking cap and prepare yourself for a movie that is beyond entertaining.  Though a bit brainy for your average moviegoer, INCEPTION is second to none and near perfection with its provocative perspective, compelling cast, absorbing cinematography and top notch directing.  INCEPTION is gripping, oddly magnetic and is nothing less than captivating.  This is easily my favorite film of 2010 and I don't mind telling you that if you disagree, you can email me at IDONTGIVEAFUCK@gmail.com.  INCEPTION is tops. Pun intended.     

1 comment:

  1. Awesome movie bro! I was stunned and felt it ended too quickly (not saying it was too short, saying I wanted to see more) and walked out of the theater already discussing the multiple possibilities presented by the ending only to look at my phone and realize that the movie was an astounding 2 1/2 hours long! This movie grabbed me from the very beginning and didn't let go until the abrupt cut to black and the word INCEPTION across the screen, leaving me mouth agape and only able to muster the word "WHAAAAAAAAT!?" Awesome, AWESOME movie!

    ReplyDelete