Translate

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

5 From 31

Okay, one last blog to squeeze out of my 2nd Annual 31 NIGHTS OF HORROR marathon.  Here, I'm going to attempt to recommend just a few films from the pumpkin patch.  No spoilers or rotten Jacks.  Grab your butcher knife.  Let's get carving.

THE DEVIL'S ROCK  8/10
(2011 - New Zealand - Director: Paul Campion)
This one gets my award for the unexpected surprise of the marathon.  This film was the equivalent of that Snickers bar you find at the bottom of the left over remnants of your Trick R' Treat bag.  It is a well done period film that takes place on the Channel Islands on D-Day.  It concerns two soldiers who are on a mission to distract from the Normandy invasion and stumble upon a Nazi plan that has to do with the occult, demonology and the supernatural.  Hi-Jinks ensue.  There is somewhat of a slow burn pacing, which I generally enjoy, some great special effects, splatter and the acting is solid.  Director Paul Campion does a great job building enough suspense to cut with a knife.  Craig Hall, Matthew Sunderland and Gina Varela all turn in great performances.  These are the indies I love the most, the unexpected gems.  Kudos to cast and crew.


THE CRAFT  8/10
(1996 - USA - Director: Andrew Fleming)
My choice to include The Craft in this list is in large part due to me not remembering thinking much of it back in the 96' when I first watched it.  The Craft put the ruler to my ass and knuckles for my dissidence this time around and, yes, I enjoyed it.  The film centers around a teenage trio of Catholic Prep School girls who are down with witchcraft.  If that isn't fucking hot, what is?  The flick is wonderfully 90's and many of us who were teens during that decade can definitely feel the nostalgia here.  The plot setup isn't breaking any new ground but it doesn't have to because the film is extremely effective and does include it's share of unexpected moments.  The direction, script and awesome cast really makes this film what it is.  Neve Campbell, Rachel True, Skeet Ulrich and Breckin Meyer are great here, however Fairuza Balk is top notch and really raises the bar with her incredibly dynamic performance while Robin Tunney does an awesome job at anchoring the film.  I don't know how you pull off being alluringly sexy and run away creepy at the same time, but Fairuza did it.  That said, I wish Fairuza Balk was involved in some higher profile projects because she is a stunningly good actress.  Anyfuck, grab your black eyeliner, choker, some grunge CD's, ratty jeans, a flannel and a Pepsi Blue and revisit this one if it's been awhile.  It might surprise you.


THE HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY  9/10
(1981 - Italy - Director: Lucio Fulci)
There's really not much for me to say here.  This is a personal favorite of mine and possibly Fulci's best film besides the seminal Zombi.  The House By The Cemetery first came to my attention about a decade ago when I was really getting into Giallos and Italian horror, which are now consequently some of my all time favorite sub-genres.  I love the fantasy elements, surreality, creepy mood and tone, as well as, all out splatter of Italian horror films and The House By The Cemetery displays these elements in spades.  It has classic traits of a haunted house flick, a slasher, a ghost story, a mystery and an awesome dose of splatter along with a "what the fuck is happening?" quality.  I love the mood of this film and greatly admire the techniques used.  If you haven't seen this one, strap in for a nutty fuckin' ride friends.  This movie is a classic in my book. 



TOURIST TRAP  9/10
(1979 - USA - Director: David Schmoeller)
Alright, I'm not saying shit about the plot on this.  It's a 70's horror film starring Chuck Connors, a deliciously young Tanya Roberts and a bunch of actors most of us have never heard of or from again.  I can honestly tell you that this film has an amazing sense of dread and creep factor.  I don't get the fuckin' willies very often, but when I watched this about 7 or 8 years ago I actually paused it at one point and said out loud, "Holy Shit".  I would say that even in horror circles, this one is massively gigantically enormously underrated.  I absolutely love this film.  I do believe this is one that ooged out Stephen King and became a favorite of his as well.  Hunt it down and watch it.  If you like horror movies at all, this one will not disappoint.  I'd also like to note that there was a certain remake from a few years back that I found to be done incredibly well and titled itself as a remake of a different film.  However, in truth this remake was way more like Tourist Trap.  Any ideas what remake I'm talking about? 



SUSPIRIA 10/10
(1977 - Italy - Director: Dario Argento)
I'm going to put it simply.  One of the best films of all time, any genre.  A pinnacle of horror.  Probably my second favorite movie, ever.  This is a masterpiece on every level.  Like I stated in my previous posting, this film bends reality, is stunningly gorgeous and operates on a level that is akin to fantasy.  The plot has to do with witches and there are actually two thematic sequels to Suspira but that's all I'm going to say about storyline.  This film stands on it's own right next to any of the greats.  One of the most influential stunningly artistic and disturbing horror films of all time.  The colors, the direction, the music, the acting, the sets... masterpiece.  So many great directors from all genres admire and discuss Suspiria for very good reason.  If you haven't seen it, no matter your taste in films, it should be on your must watch list.

It's been badass fun to share some of my incoherent rambling lunatic murmurings on my second annual 31 Nights of Horror marathon with you.  I've created a new tradition for myself and though I watch horror movies all year long, it's just different when Autumn hits and Halloween is in the air.  I am already anticipating the 2013 list and though I don't pre-plan all of the films on the list, I certainly have a couple of flicks picked out especially for 2013 already.  Feel free to share any thoughts or make suggestions for next year in the comment section below.  Thanks for reading and bleeding.



No comments:

Post a Comment